Thursday 18 February 2010

What do you buy the gamer who has everything?


I stumbled across something amazing in GameStation the other day. And it wasn’t a game. Or another girl gamer. It was this…















A cartoonified figurine of 'Gears of War' Marcus. Amazing because most of the time the only game-related merchandise I’ve been able to find on the high street is a Sonic the Hedgehog soft toy or a Space Invaders t-shirt (size XXXL).

I have no idea why it’s so hard to find cool gaming memorabilia in shops. The rest of the retail world seems to have cottoned onto the fact that people will buy all kinds of tat related to their hobby/interest. I would buy a LOT of gaming-related bits and bobs if they were staring me in the face when I got to the checkout. Marcus (above) was staring at me very angrily, but I still bought him. Predictably, Marcus was the last of his kind at my local GameStation, and they didn't know if they were getting more in.

If game shops stocked more than just games, it would also make it so much easier to buy gifts for gamers. Especially for this poor woman I overheard in Game the other day as she desperately tried to buy a game for her son:

Shop Assistant: Are you looking for PS3 or 360 games?

Shopper: Erm... the ones with the green boxes. Yes, the ones for the xbox three hundred and sixty.

So, what do you buy the gamer who has everything? The answer should be - a representation of their favourite game character. If only game stores would start stocking them...

5 comments:

  1. Completely agree. I searched high and low for a fluffy version of the Companion Cube from Portal. They exist, but I couldn't find one anywhere except online.

    Maybe as games penetrate the mass market a bit more we'll see stuff appearing in Clintons cards etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope so :)

    Clintons could do an awesome range of gaming-related keyrings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother is getting me the posable Revoltech Professor Layton for my birthday. He is so thoughtful. Can't wait to bring it to work and put it on my desk right next to my posable Capt Kirk. A girl couldn't wish for more from her brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Brotherhood of Steel figurine on my desk at work, but I don't think it counts because I got it free with the game...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always feel sorry for gamers who have desks in public places (like estate agents and banks) where they're probably not allowed to have gaming-related figurines on display. Well, definitely not one that's carrying an assault rifle with chainsaw bayonet. Mental note - must remove Marcus from my desk when my mum visits next month.

    Posable Professor Layton? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete